Today we are going to go over the benefits of golden milk and a easy to follow recipe.
Turmeric has been shown to fight gas, bloating & indigestion. Ginger which is also a ingredient in this recipe fights nausea and soothes stomach aches.
This is the perfect post workout drink since it has been shown to relieve joint and muscle pain, as well as help to combat DOMS (Delayed onset muscle soreness).
Turmeric has natural antimicrobial properties which have been shown to help protect the body from respiratory infections.
Two separate studies show it helped suppress fat tissue growth in rodents. Still no hard science on what it does for humans, but I have my fingers crossed.
The coconut oil used in this recipe has been shown to assist in raising good cholesterol and combat tooth decay.
Golden Milk Recipe
For the turmeric paste:
- 1 1/2 cups of Water
- 1/2 cup turmeric powder (almost one whole bottle if you are buying it in the spice aisle)
- 1 piece of ginger, about 1/2 the size of your finger
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 3 teaspoons coconut oil
For the golden milk: (1 Serving)
- 1 cup of milk of your choice (almond, coconut, soy, dairy, etc.)
- 1 heaping teaspoon of turmeric paste
- 1 teaspoon of honey or other sweetener
- Pour the water into a small pot and bring to a boil.
- Finely grate the ginger.
- Add all ingredients for the turmeric paste to the pan and stir continuously for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour the paste into an jar and allow to cool. The great thing is this paste will keep for several weeks if you store it in the fridge.
- To make the golden milk, heat one cup of milk of your choice until it is warm, but not too hot. Stir in on heaping teaspoon of the turmeric paste and one teaspoon of honey. This recipe can also be served over ice for those hot summer days.
I am not going to lie I was a little concerned about how this would taste, but I was pleasantly surprised. It reminded me of a spiced chai tea latte and it a nice drink to have in the evening before bed.
Cheers to good health and let me know what other natural recipes you would like to hear about.