Happy Monday everyone! I have officially finished week 4 of BBG 1.0 program by Kayla Itsines. I feel stronger already and I lost 2.5 lbs. My eating was not super consistent this month, so I decided to make it a goal to make healthy eating a priority for the last two months of the program. I feel like I am able to fit this program into my busy schedule. The resistance workouts only last 28 minutes and the cardio sessions only last between 35 and 45 minutes. The workouts definitely challenge me and I am always dripping with sweat at the end.
We have really lucked out with beautiful weather in Southern California, so I decided to do a easy meal prep on the grill. Which means less messy dishes!!
Here is what we did:
1) We soaked the chicken in brine for 30 minutes. Chicken doesn’t have to be boring, it can be really flavorful and juicy, but the key is the brine. Costco has also begun to sell organic chicken, which really affordable to buy for meal prep.
Simple Brine: For every 3 pounds of chicken, take 5 cups of tepid water, and whisk in 2 big palmfuls of salt, and one palmful of sugar. Stir until dissolved. You can brine the chicken for up to 4 to 5 hours.
2) When you are done with the brine, remove the chicken, and pat dry with a paper towel. Then generously salt and pepper the chicken.
3) Cut up veggies of your choice, then cover with a drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper.
4) Grill the chicken and veggies. If you are using onions, like we did, cook them with the chicken, since they take longer. We basted the chicken towards the end of the grilling process with barbecue sauce for extra flavor.
5) Assemble your meals. I like to cut up my chicken to make it easier to eat at work. I also, added a little extra barbecue sauce on the side for dipping.
I love having my lunches prepped for the week, because then it is one less thing to worry about during the busy work week. I have no excuse not to eat healthy. You also, end up saving money. My husband and I have turned it into something we do together every Sunday.
If you have any meal prep recipes you love, please share them in the comments section.